Wednesday 12 January 2011

He's copying my work!

Found this post today on gamesindustry.biz about a game called MaXplosion being accused for plagiarism (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-12-capcom-accused-of-plagiarism-by-xbla-dev). Let me give you some details on the game, you play as a character in a 2D camera perspective and the aim is to ‘self-destruct’ and explode in order to complete a series of puzzles. Sound familiar? It should because that’s what happens in a game called Splosion Man (XBLA).

I saw MaXplosion at the MCM Expo in London back in November 2010 and I thought it looked pretty good... and that is was exactly the same as Splosion Man! O.k. maybe I exaggerate a little, but the differences between the two games were very similar apart from some presentation designs. The article says that the game was complete theft (and maybe it was), but I just can’t believe that a team got together in a meeting room one day, played Splosion Man for half an hour and said “Let’s copy this!”. Although now I think about it, this won’t be the first time such things have happened, remember Psi-Ops and Second Sight both for Xbox.

I don’t know if MaXplosion will sell megabucks, but it’s always annoying when another company copies an idea you created first. As such is the way in creative industries and the arguments and lawsuits that follow from it. I could go on about a certain Sony game called Heavy Rain taking my idea on user/character interaction, but I’d end up in a rant as pointless as arguing with a cloud :P.


No comments:

Post a Comment